Thursday 24 November 2011

Thanksgiving


So I don't technically celebrate Thanksgiving, but I do like the idea behind the holiday, much like Christmas. I think the reality (of both) is a little less than perfect - Tofurkey for me please! But I thought I'd enter into the spirit of things regardless and share my gratitude list with y'all.

First and foremost I am thankful for my (relative) health and happiness, and that of my loved ones, obviously the most important thing, but something you tend to forget about when you're worried about money and the like, so i'm writing it down to try and help me keep that in my focus. My Granddad is a bit poorly at the moment, but I'm hoping that things will work out ok. He's fought illness off more than once before, so I'm confident he can do it again.

Linked in to my health, I am so very grateful I was able to donate blood for the second time last night (along with my husband) - my iron count can be a little low, and I have problems with slow flow from my veins, but I was able to give a full donation (almost a pint) and I feel amazing. I can't think of a better, easier selfless act to commit. Literally, I am still buzzing knowing that Hubby and I have helped to save lives. Yes it makes me feel a bit squeemish, and it's not the most comfortable or fun experience ever, but it's saving lives people! I took my phone with me this time and played Solitare and livetweeted my experience to distract me :) Please please consider giving blood when there's next a donation session near you, even if you've had a bad experience in the past, particularly if you've got a rare blood type, or super blood like Hubby (O groups can be used universally). I'm A+ which is neither, but it still counts! Take someone to hold your hand, you'll be fine :)

I'm grateful for the free tea and biscuits you get at the end too (my favourite bit). I love tea. I love biscuits. It's a no-brainer. I also got a key ring with my blood type on which I'm dead chuffed with, and intend to show off as much as possible.


I'm incredible thankful that our horrible neighbours have apparently scarpered overnight, finally leaving us in peace! They were noisy, littered, rude and frequently had the police knocking on their door, so we are well shot of them. Keep your fingers crossed for a lovely young couple to move in next door that we can be bezzie mates with. Until the new tenants arrive though, such blissful silence, hooray!

Even though my second job ended recently, leaving me feeling a bit worried about how we'll manage over the coming months and whether or not I'll be able to find a new job, I'm thankful I was able to go back and do some cover work this week, and again next week, which means I'll get a bit more money come the end of December when we'll be at our poorest, relieving a little bit of stress.

How are you celebrating Thanksgiving today? What would you put on your gratitude list?


2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for YOU. And also lemsip. But mostly you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Thanksgiving was quite nice and I hope yours was too! I've thought about giving blood quite a few times but they always have problems finding veins in my arms at the doctor. I've had way too many bad experiences with them cutting off the circulation in my arm trying to find one. Eek.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments - I read them all! Leave a link to your blog (if you have one) because I love checking them out too xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...