Sunday 24 July 2011

Books


As I might have mentioned already, I'm a huuuge bookworm. I'm currently 2/3 of the way through the Hunger Games series. I'm totally hooked, but I'm not sure I'm loving them - if that makes any sense! I've got the third and I'm about to devour that this afternoon (after the German Grand Prix of course!), so I'll have to wait and see how it ends.

I have an account on goodreads, a website that lets you record and track what you're reading and review them when you've done, a bit like last.fm but for books. I love it because it gives you all kinds of statistics about what your reading, and I do love statistics (geek).

I thought I'd share a couple of my favourite books and authors with you, mostly modern ones here, but for the most part I'm more of a classic fiction kinda gal. They're classics for a reason right?

Go over to my page to have a more in-depth look at what I'm reading and what I've read, and loved, or hated :)

A few of my favourite books

The Harry Potter series - obviously. I don't know how to describe these books other than magical. Absolute must reads for, well, everyone. Ever. The end.

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman - re-reading this series again at the moment. Really wonderful stories. I'm not really a 'fantasy/science fiction' fan, but these books are just slightly skewed from reality, enough to make them captivating and gloriously written. Definitely not just children's book - some of the best books are aimed at kids but don't let that fool you for a second.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams - funny and heartwarming. Really lighthearted and just a joy to read. It's not complicated, it's not sad, it's a great lift-you-out-of-the-moment read. Even better than the book though, is the radio series the first two books in this series are written from - I'd definitely recommend you hunt those out, even if you're familiar with the books.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - a real modern classic. Again, this is technically science-fiction, but it's not really about the time travelling at all, it's about the relationships and it is absolutely heartbreaking. We sent a copy to my sister-in-law, also an avid reader, who promptly declared it 'the best book ever'. So engrossing and wonderful.

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell - so long, but so worth it. Really interesting from a historical point of view (it's set during the American civil war), but it is so much more than that. Second greatest love story of all time maybe? Scarlett is a wonderful heroine, not always likeable but strong and brave and determined. She does what she has to do and I love that about her.


And some authors that you should definitely check out - I like these as much for their style as their stories, so it's hard to pick a favourite amongst their works:
Douglas Coupland
Paulo Coelho
Haruki Murakami
Sarah Dessen


Hubby just placed a houmous, avacado and salad sandwich in front of me. Heaven! Perfect for the poorly throat that's plaguing my weekend :( Hope you're all fairing better than me.

Come on Sutil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments - I read them all! Leave a link to your blog (if you have one) because I love checking them out too xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...